Amsterdam. You didn’t know
Amsterdam is the best choice for a holiday if you what you expect is culture, excellent nightlife, galleries and the general feel of serene peace. The city is amazing and it has a lot of things to offer and before starting your Amsterdam experience there are some cool things you might like to know.
- The name of the city comes from the river Amstel and the Dam built over it so that a village could be founded.
- The first thing you will notice the moment you set step in the city is that there are a lot of bikes. And when we say a lot we mean that there are 1 million bicycles and only 700 000 people who live in the city.
- Even if most of the people own at least one bicycle, there are a lot of bike thefts daily. This is why people quit investing a lot of money in them and why most of them will seam old to you.
- Even if there are a lot of streets you can wander on; you could also choose to visit the city by boat. There is public transportation on the canals is usual and there is even a special route that connects the major museums and landmarks in the city.
- The city is 6 meters below sea level. The Dutch are masters in keeping waters away and not letting their country become Atlantis.
- Netherlands is known for its tulips, 75% of the tulips in the world come from this country.
- Even is smoking cannabis is legal in Amsterdam, it is better to smoke it only in coffee shops and try not to exaggerate. There are more than 300 coffee shops at every step and you can buy up to 5 grams once.
- Be careful after smoking when you want to buy things from the streets. There are a lot of merchants willing to take advantage of your cloudy mind and rip you off.
- If you are a fan of art, you will be happy to learn that the city has an impressive Van Gogh collection at the Van Gogh Museum. This collection is the largest in the world.
- If you want to live like the locals, rent a bike. It is easier to move around with bikes than cars or even by foot. There are special lanes for the bikes, you only need to respect the basic rules.
Bring your joy with and start your Amsterdam fun. It’s truly amazing.