Barcelona. You didn’t know
Barcelona, Spain is a top destination for tourists all around the world. Whether you are interested in Gaudi’s architecture, European delights or simply Spanish sangria, Barcelona is an amazing choice for your holiday. Here are a few fun facts you should know before your trip.
- There are two legends that talk about the foundation of the city. One of them says it was founded 400 years before Rome by Hercules. The other puts of Carthaginian Hamilcar Barca, the father of Hanibal as the founder of the city in 3rd century BC . According to that legend the city takes its name from the great Barca family of Carthage
- Before 1992 Barcelona had no beaches, the seaside belonged to industrial sites. In 1992 when Barcelona hosted the Olympic Games the city converted the seaside into leisure zones. Now there are four and a half kilometers of sandy beaches for the delight of the locals and tourists.
- The city is known for being pedestrians- friendly. It has over 130 hectares dedicated to walking or biking. Also, more than 10 percent of the city represents parks.
- The most famous street in Spain is in Barcelona. More than 3500 people walk Fontanella-Portal del Àngel Street every day.
- On the beautiful Sagrada Familia there is a carving of a donkey that covers the main portal. For that sculpture Gaudi auditioned the finest donkeys in Barcelona to use as the model. The winner and belonged to a poor woman who sold sand.
- Football lovers would love to visit FC Barcelona stadium, the largest in the world, big enough for 100 000 people.
- The native language is not Spanish but Catalan, both languages are official though.
- The most famous architect of Spain is Gaudi who had an enormous impact on the city.
With these fun facts in your mind, grab a bike and enjoy your holiday.