(This post was written after the author visited Jeju Loveland was originally published in 2010. Now it has been updated for accuracy and content in 2017).
Attention: Before you start scrolling down to 24 of the best photographs of Jeju Loveland in Korea, be warned… If you’re under 18, in the office (NSFW), classroom or next to your great Auntie who’s a bit conservative, come back later! If you’re easily offended or have a weak heart, also click away for good.
In our opinion, none of the images from the Jeju Loveland or the sex museum are distasteful or disgusting in any way. Most of them are fun and lively, probably suitable for younger than 18, after all its only what they get taught about in school right? Anyway, warning over, don’t say we didn’t tell you!
Quick & helpful facts before visiting:
- Loveland is on an island in South Korea and involves a short flight from the mainland.
- Round trip flights from Seoul are around $100.
- After that it’s only a 10 minute drive from the Jeju Island airport.
- Entry is less than $10.
- A full walk around the park can be completed in under an hour.
- The park opening time is from 9am to 12pm.
- Loveland is open all year round.
- Entry is only permitted to people over 20 NOT 18.
- There’s a recreation and play area just outside for kids to wait and perhaps adults take in turns in the park, depending on the age of the children.
- The parks telephone number: +82-64-712-6988.
Have you visited an erotic theme park?
Jeju Loveland is an outdoor erotic sculpture park on Jeju Island. Jeju Island was already a popular destination for honeymooners, being the southernmost and therefore the warmest region in South Korea even before this park was built. The park is focused on a theme of sex and featuring sculptures representing (mostly) humans in various sexual positions.
This sex park is a bit of an anomaly in the Korean culture. Koreans seem conservative and almost restrained sexually. This is the case in public of course, what people do in their own homes with the lights off is probably similar around the world!
Loveland on Jeju Island is touted as the only sexual theme park in Korea, although I can’t think of any other’s in the world. They’ve managed to pull it off though, it’s fun, arty, cultural and just erotic enough to be a great honeymoon destination. (Don’t think that you can get fruity among the sculptures and that no-one would notice, that is prohibited!)
The history of Jeju Loveland:
The entire park is designed around a lake than contains a statue of two pairs of upside-down legs entangled around each other. Loveland started way back in 2002, when 20 artists, graduates of Hongik University in Seoul, started creating what would form to be Korea’s only sexual theme park.
In total, 140 different sculptures and works of art were created, ranging from the huge outdoor statues, to the small display cabinets in the sex museum section.
The idea behind the project was to highlight “the natural beauty of sexuality” and “break the traditional taboos surrounding sex”. We think that they did a pretty good job indeed.
It has elements such as large phallus statues and hands-on exhibits such as a “masturbation-cycle.” Sensual sculptures adorn the borders of the lake, ranging from two fully-dressed lovers who are leaning over and kissing discreetly, to a collection of descriptive sexual positions seemingly based from cultures around the world.
Interesting fun facts about South Korea:
- In the 1970’s the police used to go around in the street measuring the ladies skirts to make sure they were long enough!
- Online porn is banned in S.Korea. Not making it, viewing it!
- After the Korean war, citizens weren’t allowed to travel overseas, until 1988!
Other things to do in Jeju Loveland:
Inside the park there’s:
- A beautiful glass dome restaurant with excellent food, perfect for all year round.
- An outdoor cafe for spring/summer/autumn and for you hardcore winter lovers.
- An art shop unlike any that you would have ever seen before, get ready for some fun at customs when leaving the country ha ha.
- Some sex sculptures are available for interaction, so that you can take some fairly unique holiday snaps.
More info on www.jejuloveland.com